Armitage Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact and Opinions

Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Fact and Opinions

Post  Administrator Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:16 am

'Primark effect' prompts government drive to cut clothes sent to landfill

Shopaholics are being urged to take cast offs to charity shops in a Government drive to reduce the so-called "Primark effect", which has seen the amount of unwanted clothes being dumped in landfill soar by 30 per cent.

The trend for cheap "throwaway" fashion means textiles are the fastest growing sector in household waste. Every year consumers in the UK buy two million tonnes of clothes of which 1.2m tonnes ends up in landfill. Just 300,000 is reused or recycled while the rest ends up in the back of the "national wardrobe".

A recent investigation by MPs found the proportion of textile waste dumped at one council site had risen from seven per cent to 30 per cent in due to the "Primark effect".

Speaking at the launch of London Fashion week, Lord Hunt of Kings Heath, the sustainability minister, said consumers spend £38 million a year on clothes but most of it goes to landfill.
He said: "At the moment only 16 per cent of the clothes we discard in this country are recycled the rest end up in landfill and that produces greenhouse gases so we have to change that around."

He urged consumers to think about sustainability when buying clothes and to dispose of them at second hand shops or through recycling.

"Wherever you buy your clothes, however they have been produced you can try and make sure they are recycled either by going to a charity shop or going to a recycling depot," he added.

The Sustainable Clothing Roadmap, launched at a fashion show for sustainable fashion, is a partnership between the Government and 300 of the biggest high street shops, manufacturers and designers in the country to make clothing more sustainable and urge consumers to buy and dispose of clothes in an ethical fashion.

A spokesman for Primark said the firm was not signed up to the Sustainability Road Map but had its own sustainability agenda including signing up to a fair trading initiative and energy efficiency measures.

Administrator
Admin

https://armitage.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Quotes

Post  Stolly Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 am

There are lots of quotes in this article. I wonder whether they are facts or opinions. Can you discuss any opinions that people have with your group on this forum?

Remember what 'discuss' means. Look back at the LO to remind yourselves.

Stolly

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Facts

Post  Ella Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:18 am

Ithink that the amount of clothes that go in the land fill is absoultly disgusting!

Ella

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Facts

Post  Ella Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 am

What do you think.

Ella

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty agree

Post  robert Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 am

*I agree with you Stolly however i think they got over exaderated with the qoutes.*

robert

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty facts of primark

Post  Rhian Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:25 am

Primark spend over 38 million on clothes and yet people still spend loads of money!!

Rhian

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Primark

Post  Ella Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:38 am

A fact is that primark has been using people with a problem but i think it sorted!(Miss Stubbs) said

Ella

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Test

Post  Administrator Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:41 am

Test Test. Mr.Goulden apologise for the unreliability of technology. Test Test.

Administrator
Admin

https://armitage.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty WHAT!!!!!!

Post  Leshun Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 am

Mr.Goulden may i ask polietly what are yo saying every time i am on the wbsite it says TEST TEST!! what is going on.

Leshun

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Re: Fact and Opinions

Post  melanie Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 am

primark isnt that bad!!!!!

melanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 am

Yes Ella I do think that the amount of clothes wasted is disgusting. theres basically no reson to make clothes.

Robert

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Who is with me

Post  Leshun Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:04 am

Do you know what melanie im with you but instead of wasting they should sell them for free

Leshun

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty I agree Rob

Post  Reece Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:05 am

It is too agsageratide miss stoll

Reece

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty why primark why????

Post  Abdilah Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:15 am

Instead of making things out of non-recylable materials.

Abdilah

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Are you all with me??

Post  Abdilah Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 am

Say yes if your all with so come on and join the fight to stop primark's waste.

Abdilah

Back to top Go down

Fact and Opinions Empty Totally!!

Post  Nikki Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 am

I totally agree with you Melanie. I don't think that Primark is that bad either even though i don't shop there!

Nikki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum